MAIN SECTIONS >  Home  Gloucester Docks  Sharpness Docks  G&S Canal  Vessels  People  Studies
 VESSELS PAGES >  Index  For Overhaul  Museum Boats  Ships  Barges  Service Craft  Pleasure Craft

Gloucester Docks &
the Sharpness Canal


Classic Ships for Overhaul

Interesting vessels come to Gloucester for repair and maintenance work by T. Nielsen & Co who lease the two dry docks and adjoining workshops. The company, managed by Tommi Nielsen, specialises in the restoration and repair of wooden sailing ships, employing craftsmen who combine the best of modern technology with traditional shipbuilding techniques. The dry docks are also used for inspection and repair of modern steel vessels. Interesting vessels noted in May 2017 include Bristol Channel pilot cutter Olga, yachts Sceptre, Charmian and Halcyon, motor yacht Kytra and dumb barge Sabrina 5.

See also Four Tall Ships 2009  Kaskelot 2017


This Bristol Channel pilot cutter, built in 1909, is now owned by the Swansea Maritime Museum.




This 12 metre classic yacht was the British challenger for the America's Cup in 1958. In the 1970s and 80s, she was converted to a stunning cruising yacht and is now available to charter. (Website)




This yacht was built in Brixham by J W & A Upham in 1933 on the lines of a Brixham sailing trawler. A major restoration was started by Butler & Co of Dartmouth and is to be completed at Gloucester.



This classic Bermudan ketch was built in 1929 by J I Thorneycroft and Co Ltd of Woolston, Southampton for Lancashire industrialist Sir Samuel Turner. She is constructed of teak planks on oak frames with a burma teak interior. The original teak saloon and main accommodation have been preserved perfectly during her long life. She is available for charter. (Halcyon website)


This classic motor yacht was built in 1959 in the style of a Scottish fishing vessel with a larch hull, and much of the interior is the original design.


Sabrina 5

This was one of six unpowered barges built in 1944 by Charles Hill & Sons of Bristol for the Ministry of War Transport. It is now part of the Waterways Museum's collection.


Return to Top Menu   Copyright 2003-17 Hugh Conway-Jones   Contact