MAIN SECTIONS >  Home  Gloucester Docks  Sharpness Docks  G&S Canal  Vessels  People  Studies
   Return to Gloucester Buildings Page 

Gloucester Docks &
the Sharpness Canal


Llanthony Corn Mill

This page highlights the origin and former uses of the building on the corner of Llanthony Road and Merchants Road that was converted to the Portivo Lounge in July 2013.

     The tall building near the corner of Merchants Road and Llanthony Road was built in 1894 to establish a new corn mill. The site was owned by the Stroud Brewery Co who had acquired it in the course of purchasing the nearby Llanthony Bridge Inn (since demolised). The adjoining corner building had been used as a sail loft, but the tenant had recently moved out and the site was available for a new use.

John Allen & Son
     The proposal for the mill came from Joseph Allen, supported by his elderly father John, who were trading as John Allen & Son, corn and meal merchants. Both men had had experience in running corn mills, but neither had been very successful. Plans prepared by Medland & Son proposed reducing the width of the existing two storey corner building to make space for a new four storey mill building alongside. The Allens were evidently short of capital, and they persuaded the Brewery Company to finance the building work on the promise to pay six per cent on the money expended - in addition to the rent of the corner building. Construction work was carried out by local builder E Clutterbuck during 1894. Joseph Allen fitted out the new building with milling machinery powered by a gas engine, but he soon found himself in financial difficulties, and within a year he was seeking a buyer for his lease.

Subsequent Uses
     Unfortunately, no one came forward, and after two years of accumulating debts, in 1897 he was obliged to surrender his lease and assign the machinery in the mill to the Brewery Company. The Company tried to sell the mill, and eventually in 1900 it was purchased by Edgar Hamlin. He traded as a grain and flour merchant for a few years, but in 1904 the building was sold to builders merchants Lansley & Cullis and was then used for their business for many years. Subsequently, the building had many uses until it was restored as part of the Gloucester Quays redevelopment of the area c2010.

Return to Top Menu   Copyright Hugh Conway-Jones 2013   Contact