A major expansion of the premises
was carried out in 1891-93. A new mill was set up in a long single
storey building to the south of the existing warehouse, the original
mill was replaced by an extension to the warehouse, and a detached
boiler house and a tank house were built to the east. A 400hp Hicks
Hargreaves steam engine powered eight sets of oil-seed crushing
machinery with an output capacity of 600 tons per week.
while these developments were underway, part of the quay wall in
front of the warehouse moved outwards, and as this threatened the
stability of the pillars and the projecting elevator housing above,
these were pulled down. In due course the wall was repaired and
a new (but less elegant) structure was built on pillars to house
site continued to be developed as new plant was installed until
the mill was superceded in the 1950s when BOCM installed a big new
oil extraction plant at Avonmouth.
the closure of the mill, the site was sold to West Midlands Farmers
who mainly used the buildings as a distribution depot for products
for local farmers. Imported grain was delivered by coaster during
the 1970s, and some new machinery was installed for milling and
mixing animal feeds.
Glos Chron 26 Jul 1862, 3 Sep 1910,
3 Feb 1923; Glo Jnl 21 May 1892; Glos Coll JV 13.1, JR 13.8, NQ
15.8; memories of former employees. Upper illustrations by kind
permission of Gloucestershire Archives Glos Chron 3 Feb 1923, NR