warehouse was built in 1870 for the corn merchants J E & S H
Fox. Attached to the west end was a small steam-powered mill which
the brothers used for preparing cattle food. Five years later, the
warehouse was badly damaged by a fire which started in the eaves,
well above the reach of the primitive fire appliances of the day.
It was soon rebuilt, with the eaves being replaced by parapets.
The Fox family continued to occupy the building with various partners
until c1900, then it was used by the Bristol Steam Navigation Co
for storing imported sugar until c1925, after which it was occupied
by businesses that were not related to the canal.
Great Western Warehouse
warehouse was built in 1863 for William Partridge but was immediately
sold to corn merchant W C Lucy. It became part of the Fox family's
business by 1891, and later it was used by the Bristol Steam Navigation
Co for storing imported sugar until c1930, after which it was occupied
by businesses that were not related to the canal. In 1945, while
being used by a firm producing breakfast cereal, the warehouse was
largely destroyed by a spectacular fire. After this, most of the
structure was demolished, leaving only the ground floor which was
given a new roof.
The malthouse between the two main
warehouses was built in 1888 for corn merchants Fox Clinch &
Co, and the sketch (right) shows how the buildings were linked together.
An inclined iron shoot allowed the malthouse to receive grain direct
from an upper floor in the Great Western Warehouse, and hoists in
the malthouse could be worked by ropes from the steam engine behind
the Alexandra Warehouse. In the early twentieth century, like the
neighbouring warehouses, the malthouse was used for storing imported
sugar and grain, and then from c1930 it was occupied by businesses
that were not related to the canal.
No 4 Warehouse
building in front of the malthouse is a replacement for a large
wooden shed that had become structurally unsafe. It was used for
storing perishable goods discharged from coasters in the later days
of commercial operation.
Sources: TNA RAIL 829 & 864 minute books; GJ 28 Aug 1875;
Goad Insurance Map 1891; Citizen 3 Jan 1945; Glos Arch Rate books.